NOAA One Health
What is One Health?
One Health involves applying a coordinated, collaborative, multidisciplinary, and cross-sector approach to address potential or existing risks that originate at the interface of humans, animals, and ecosystems. The One Health concept recognizes that the health of humans is inextricably linked with the health of animals and the environment.
What is NOAA's One Health Approach?
Working under the One Health model, NOAA One Health is an agency-wide group that aims to advance NOAA's science and services to inform health decisions through: improved understanding of the linkages between environmental conditions and health outcomes, and the delivery of useful production products, data, and tools.
NOAA One Health advances NOAA’s science and services to inform health decisions through:
- improved understanding of the linkages between environmental conditions and health outcomes, and
- delivery of useful prediction products, data and tools
What are NOAA's One Health Focus Areas?
The seven thematic areas include:
What Work is NOAA Doing in the One Health Space?
Why is NOAA Focusing on One Health?
In 2010, the NOAA Science Advisory Board’s Oceans and Health Working Group (OHWG) produced a report emphasizing the Agency’s contributions to the health community and charged the agency to establish a more coordinated approach across the line offices. The One Health Strategy was launched to address this gap.
Recommendations from this report included:
- NOAA should establish health protection, preservation, and enhancement as an agency-wide goal
- NOAA should develop a comprehensive plan for its health focused programs
- NOAA should focus initially on several priority projects including: Forecasts of impending threats, Surveillance systems for emerging pathogens contaminants, and toxins that affect health, Climate change effects on ocean-related health, and Health benefits from the sea
More About One Health:
CDC One Health
CDC One Health Infographics
One Health | American Veterinarian Association
USDA One Health
One Health | National Park Service
One Health Commission
NOAA Fisheries | Aquaculture
Learn More About Climate and Health:
USGCRP Human Health page
Fourth National Climate Assessment